Applications Open: 15th January 2018
Applications Close: 8th February 2018
Each sport that competes at either the 2018 Nationals Division 1 or Division is required to have a Griffith Team Leader (GTL) to assist in coordination and management of their team. In the instance that a sport has multiple teams, and/or across multiple divisions, an additional GTL will be accepted. In most cases, where possible, a Brisbane/Logan campus and Gold Coast campus GTL will be appointed.
GTL’s will assist UTM’s in ensuring that the team is well represented both on and off the field and the highest standards of sportsmanship and behaviour are upheld at all times. GTL’s are responsible for ensuring that their team meets registration requirements and payment deadlines, communicating information amongst their team, ensuring team members perform at the best of their ability and a high standard of behaviour, conduct and sportsmanship is maintained at all times. The GTL is also responsible for the promotion of Nationals – and is also required to help promote during Orientation/Week 1.
GTL’s must have exceptional organisational skills. They must also have a broad knowledge of their chosen sport, have previous experience in a leadership role and be available to attend all training sessions. The GTL must act maturely and responsibly at all times when acting as a representative of Griffith University and be a leader and mentor to their fellow team members. The GTL does not have to be the best player on the team, but should be seen as a team player and a leader who is able to make fair decisions and represents Griffith University with pride.
- Benefits of being a Griffith Team Leader
- Training and Professional Development Opportunities (further detail can be found under; GTL Training and Important Dates)
- Financial Subsidy – GTL’s will have either their National Division 1 or Division 2 Griffith University packages subsidised in 2018 (maximum value $xxx) The subsidy will only be covered if the GTL attends all meetings, trainings, assists in the running of all promotional events and reaches personal KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators). The subsidy amount will be based on achieving percentage weighted KPI’s (further detail can be found under; GTL Key Performance Indicators)
- The opportunity to help further develop sport at Griffith University, and provide pathways for sport through sporting clubs & Represent Griffith programs.
- Practical experience that will look great on your CV – written & verbal references can be provided post event
- Key Performance Indicators
GTL refund subsidy will be based on a number of key performance indicators, pre, during and post Nationals. Each KPI are weighted and will reflect a percentage of subsidies you will receive towards your overall Griffith University fees.
Recruitment and Trials
- Be involved in the recruitment of Griffith University students interested in being a member of our National teams. This includes implementing strategies to recruit members from all Griffith campuses – Nathan, Gold Coast, Mt Gravatt, South Bank and Logan
- Active recruitment of Griffith University students during Orientation, Club Market Days and either Griffith Sport and Gold Coast Student Guild Sport events
- Attend either the Nationals Briefing Session in Brisbane (1st March 2018) or Gold Coast (8th March 2018)
- Organise a coach and manager (if applicable) for the team
- Ensure all NPO’s have filled out the NPO Application Form by 25th March 2018 to be approved by UTM
- Organise with UTM independent selectors to attend trials
- Book venues with UTM for your Trials during Trial Week 1 and/or Trial Week 2
- Trials will need to be held on the weekend of 16th – 18h March 2018; if a second trial weekend is needed they should be held 23rd -25th March 2017. Week day trials can be held in the lead up to ‘trial weekends’
- Promote Trial information, dates, times & location from the start of Orientation Week
- Advise squad, and UTM of the selected team including captains by the 25th March 2018
- Follow Selection Policy when announcing Team, and adding/removing team members
- Create Commitment Document with UTM
- Ensure all players understand and sign a copy of your commitment document by the 25th March 2018
- Ensure all players pay the Selection Bond through GriffithPay on acceptance of their squad place by 27th March 2018
Registration and Payments
- Ensure all team members have filled in the Google Doc registration form by 25th March 2018
- Maintain the GoogleDoc workbook and ensure it is to be updated at all times – and followed up with any notes specific to any member of your squad.
- Ensure all team members have paid Selection Bond by 27th March 2018
- Ensure all team members are aware of the Payment Process (either Up Front, or Direct Debit)
- Ensure team members who have “Direct Debit” in the GoogleDoc, have sent the required forms by 2nd April 2018
- Ensure all team members who have “Up-Front” in the Google Doc have paid all remaining fees through GriffithPay by 4th May 2018
- Ensure familiarity of AUS registration system to manage registration of teams and participants
- Disseminate relevant team codes to participants for payment on the AUS system
- Ensure all team members have paid all registration fees owing to Australian University Sport by the due date (TBA).
- Liaise with Griffith Sport to follow up which team members still have money owing
Development and Communication
- Liaise with UTM and participants on all matters relating to the team and event participation – regular updates for teams +special updates for UTM
- Attend GTL Trainings & Meetings organised by UTM – Dates are posted under GTL Training Dates
- Circulate regular information and updates to all team members
- Ensure all team members have submitted and signed a Code of Conduct and Medical Form by the 31st May 2018
- Ensure all team members attend the Nationals Briefing Session for required Division at either the Gold Coast or Nathan (Date TBA). If there are members of the squad who are unable to make the meeting – ensure this is communicated to the UTM so an alternative date could be arranged
- Book Facilities through UTM for training sessions.
- Conduct and attend training sessions for the team – UTM will determine the minimum number of trainings leading up to the games in your initial GTL Meeting
- Co-Host with the UTM a ‘Be the Influence’ Training session for your squad.
- Host a Team Building Activity your Squad
- Organise with the UTM any sport specific equipment that is required for training
- Organise with the UTM any sport specific equipment that is required to take away for Nationals
- Inform all members of the team – the time and place of the first team meeting once checked into the accommodation to distribute accreditations
- Ensure all team members are fully aware of team requirements including travel throughout the week, accommodation
- Ensure all team members are fully aware of the Code of Conduct policy that they have signed
- Arrange a time to pick up accreditations from UTM
- Set a positive example for behaviour for all team members and adhere to the Code of Conduct at all times
- Ensure all athletes are aware of the accreditation process and sign in correctly and on time prior to competition.
- Liaise with the UTM if a player is under protest, and arrange the player to get to the Game Centre to show ID prior to the deadline
- Provide daily results and reports at the end of competition each day to the Media Manager
- Attend any meetings called by UTM during the event
- Notify UTM on any incidents, emergencies, or injuries as soon as they happen
- Provide UTM with a post event report to publish
- Ensure all team members fill in the Bond Return Bank Account form by 15th July 2018 (Division 2) or 7th October 2018 (Division 1) to receive their Bond back (pending behaviour, and damages)
- GTL Compulsory Meeting & Training Dates
All Griffith Team Leader Training sessions are compulsory in order for you to receive your subsidy. Training Session times will be decided upon once the GTL group has been formed and the UTM will work with the group to find a time that best suits everyone. Sessions are split between the Gold Coast and Nathan, all GTL’s must attend both Brisbane and Gold Coast sessions except for the Induction session which GTL’s can choose which they attend.
- February 15th (Nathan) and February 16th (Gold Coast) – GTL Meeting – Induction
- Promotion, GoogleDoc Management, How to run a Trial, Training, Appointing NPO & Commitment Documentation, Payment Information, Selection Policy and General NUG Information
- March 21st – GTL Training #1; Relationships, Communication & Difficult Conversations BTI (Nathan)
- April 17th – GTL Training #2; Leading Self, Leading Others & Leading Teams (Gold Coast)
- May 15th – GTL Training #3; Team Building – Creating a strong Team Dynamic (Nathan)
- May 29th – GTL Training #4; Be The Influence (Gold Coast)
After these sessions, you will work with the UTM to create your own team sessions including a compulsory “Be the Influence” and Team bonding session.
- GTL Key Dates
- March 1st – Represent Griffith Information Session (Nathan)
- March 8th – Represent Griffith Information Session (Gold Coast)
- March 12th – 18th – Trial Week #1
- March 19th – 25th – Trial Week #2
- March 25th – All squad lists must be emailed to UTM
- March 26th – All Squads announced by UTM; all divisions, all sports
- March 27th – Selection Bonds due
- April 2nd – Direct Debit Forms due to UTM if Griffith package payment plan
- May 4th – All up-front Griffith Payments Due
- May 28t h – Announcement of final team (Division 2)
- June 4tht – All AUS Payments Due (Division 2)
- July 1st – 5th – Nationals – Division 2 (Gold Coast)
- July 15th – Bank reimbursement forms due (Division 2)
- July 23rd – Announcement of final team (Division 1)
- August 17th – All AUS Payments Due (Division 1)
- September 23rd – 27th – Nationals – Division 1 (Gold Coast)
- October 7th – Bank reimbursement forms due (Division 1)
Applications will open on the 15th January 2018, and close on the 8th February 2018. If you are interested in becoming a GTL for 2018 – and believe you are able to commit to the above KPI’s and important dates listed above – you will need to fill in an online application! The online application has a few questions related to your previous experience, and skills to help us gain a better understanding on why we should pick you!